Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Web Essentials 05 - Better Each Year

Congratulations to Russ, Peter, John, Maxine and everyone else involved for organising a fantastic event. gets better each year.

I came back to Melbourne with a new sense of community, as well as feeling inspired, overwhelmed, excited not to mention hung-over. Not only are the sessions by key international figures in our industry inspiring and informative, but it's a great chance to catch up with colleagues and people with whom you normally only interact with online.

Highlights of the 2 days for me included:

Also, by showing the audience how to use and Flickr when talking about the conference, the organisers have made it possible and easy to keep the community spirit of the event going, well after it has finished.

5 Comments:

At October 05, 2005 6:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, good to see you've got an online presence again.

Can't be a Web Standards developer without a digital voice!

 
At October 05, 2005 6:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say you've summed it all up pretty well... the internationals weren't as technically focussed as I'd expected (with some exceptions, of course), but the conference was all the richer for it.

 
At October 05, 2005 7:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Cam (Cam not Cameron, but I agree with him too) that it was nice to have the focus shifted more to "where we go from here" rather than just showing off some technical abilities alone.

Although I still enjoyed some of the technical presentations equally, particularly Derek Featherstones accessability lessons.

I think they struck a good balance, and with a fairly diverse crowd it payed off.

 
At October 06, 2005 4:27 pm, Blogger David McDonald said...

Ricky, I wish we could have said more as well, but we had to keep to a schedule. The session actually went very quickly for me and before I knew it, it was over. If you see me next year, feel free to come up and introduce yourself.

Please let me know if you would like any more information, as I would be more than happy to post it to this blog, in some form or another.

In regards to John Allsop's Top 10 for compliance - I've never heard about it, is there a link somewhere?

I think standards compliance is mostly not too difficult to achieve, depending on the control you have over your site. You are basically following a set of guidelines.

What I do find more difficult to achieve is an intuitive site structure, good usability and informative design.

 
At October 06, 2005 5:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David you can listen to Johns podcast and see his slides to see what he had to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home